Wednesday, September 17, 2008

THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON.....BUT STILL SCARY

Here is a story from today's Toronto Star. It concerns the growing problem of "mail order brides", usually marriages of convenience entered into by people overseas looking for a way to gain permanent residency in Canada. From my professional experience, I can not even begin to tell you how much heartache and financial ruin they can cause: I have seen many people in my office telling me how they were "duped" by their "brides" and "grooms". This is happening because spousal sponsorships are not scrutinized as carefully as they once were, and the emphasis is on speedy processing instead. While a Skilled Worker application in Manila is taking an average of three or four years, a spousal sponsorship takes only a few months....no wonder that they are attractive targets for unscrupulous individuals.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/499874

No comments:

Visalaw International CS CBA OBA-ABO AILA IPBA NYSRA ABA IBA